Wednesday, March 25, 2009

It's Crunch Time

Serious crunch time. The economic explosion is happening right here in my checkbook. What do I cut back on? What do I do without? What to do? What to do? I will definitely be cutting back on my Starbuck and B&N trips with the girls. We will have to find something else to do on the weekend. More picnics in the park and bus trips (still the cheapest mode of transportation, besides walking, of course) to town to explore the city.

Second, is planting a windowsill garden. Chives, basil, lavender, parsley, mint, thyme, sage and rosemary, for starters.

I won't give up my one subscription to a scrapbook kit club, but I am canceling my membership to a book club and will start using the library (which could be a weekend activity with the girls).

We gave up "fast food" earlier this year and have been cooking each meal from scratch and using leftovers. I enjoy cooking and love using my crockpot, so this has not been a hardship. Plus, we've tried a lot of new recipes.

We will sew more, too. Jo-Ann's has been having some fabulous dollar sales on patterns (a $16+ pattern can be got for $1.99 or less!)) and on fabric. A recent fabric purchase was around $60.00, which may seem steep, but it will yield a sundress for each of the three granddaughters, a shorts outfit and enough scraps leftover for doll clothes.

We'll also recycle more. We've begun washing out jars to use for leftovers and finding other uses for what we have on hand. Actually, it's rather like an adventure seeing where we can cut back and how we can come up with new ways to save.

No comments:

Post a Comment