Thursday, March 19, 2009

My son Joseph gave me this book entitled "You Can Do It!: The Merit Badge Handbook for Grown-Up Girls" for Christmas a while ago. This book excites me each time I leaf through its pages. The book was written by the late Lauren Catuzzi Grandcolas, a heroine of United Flight 93.



The book is filled with practical advice, step-by-step instruction and lots of encouragement for achieving 60 badge activities. Granted, I will not be earning all of the badges, but this month I am starting with Badge #27 - Get Well-Read. This will probably be one of the easiest badges for me to earn. For example the first three steps (out of 5) are 1. Go Blank - get a journal to track books, read, borrowed, lent, donated, to write down critiques of the book, and certain passages you want to remember; 2. Read a classic; 3. Find out what others are reading. This I can do.

This past weekend was lovely!!! Kayla and I took a bus to Oakland and renewed our membership to the Carnegie Museum. We had such a delightful afternoon exploring. Kayla and I each have our favorite exhibitions at the Museum. Hers are the Discovery Room, and the room where the fabulous eye-dazzling gems are kept.



The gems were stunning and we couldn't pick just one favorite.



Then we moved on through the newly renovated Dinosaur room. Kayla went on a bonehunters dig.



The feature exhibit this season is the "Horse". The hands-on activity was making a galloping horse.



After "exploring" Egypt and North Pole, we had lunch down at the café. Our next visit to the Museum will be to check out the art.


On Sunday, I took Kayla and Kaileen to Squirrel Hill (our favorite place) to buy books at B&N. They both got the same book and started their own book club. I purchased a 3 pack of Moleskine pocket journals and a Somerset Magazine. We HAD to stop at the S.W. Randall to buy new dolls and then we HAD to go to Starbucks for Frappucinos. The girls settled into a big comfy couch and chair and each began reading their books. It was such a good afternoon and they were so cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment