Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day Defined

Whether I go into the office, work on office assignments from home, do laundry, clean a room, pack up stuff for VA or sew the button on the sweater I finally finished, I will be working. Hence, the labor in Labor Day, at least for me and that's o.k.  I had a lovely day yesterday visiting family.  Anyhow, wondering the real meaning of Labor Day, I googled and here's how Wikipedia defines Labor Day: 

     Labor Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the first Monday in September (September 6 in 2010).  The first Labor Day in the United States was celebrated on September 5, 1882 in New York City. It became a federal holiday in 1894, when, following the deaths of a number of workers at the hands of the U.S. military and U.S. Marshals during the Pullman Strike, President Grover Cleveland put reconciliation with the labor movement as a top political priority. Fearing further conflict, legislation making Labor Day a national holiday was rushed through Congress unanimously and signed into law a mere six days after the end of the strike.

And that's today's history lesson.  Let's move on.

Be flexible.  I had certain plans for today. Upon waking, I jumped in the shower and then set to making a list of goals I wanted to accomplish this day.  It did not include visiting or shopping or spending time with others.  Called my Mom cause I knew she was not going to have a great day with Cathy not here.  So, I asked her to come have lunch and talk to me while I cleaned.  I drove over to the store for milk and cookies and sandwich rolls.  Back home, Mom and I had a nice afternoon and I got the dining room cleaned and Mom ran the sweeper.  After she left, I made myself dinner, went for a walk, did some laundry and watched Thursday's Project Runway.  Then bed.  So, I learned that being flexible is a good, good thing and that my day, while not what I planned, was fantastic!


No comments:

Post a Comment