Monday, July 23, 2012

My Greenery

While my Mom, sons and daughter have the greenest of thumbs, I, alas, have been known to ... well, kill a plant or two.  But that's changing.  I have two plants (one from my Grandma's funeral, and one from my sister's) that are growing leaps and bounds, two spider plants that were cuttings from a plant of an attorney I work for, and this summer, I am attempting to grow herbs from seeds. The cilantro is growing wild, the basil needs a bit more prompting, and I've just started dill.  Once all three herbs are lush and full and ready, I am going to use them in a recipe found at Eat Dangerously.  Though the recipe is listed under their Holiday (Valentine) index, I am going to make it just because...(just because I'll have all three herbs on hand at the same time).

Chicken with 3 Fresh Herbs You'll Want to Eat in Bed 
 2 chicken breasts (normal, as in bones & skin)
¼ cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
¼ cup of fresh dill, chopped
¼ cup of fresh basil, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove of finely chopped garlic
2 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
juice of 1 lemon with a ½ teaspoon of lemon zest
¼ teaspoon of paprika
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon of butter
salt and pepper
In a nice pot, heat up your oil and butter on medium and put in the chicken fat side down. Saute for about 3 minutes until golden. Flip and cook for another minute.
Push the chicken to the side and add the garlic and onions and cook for a few minutes until either the onions or garlic are just starting to brown in 2 minutes or so. Lower the heat to low and cook for about 10 minutes.
Next, add the tomatoes, the chicken, paprika, salt pepper, and half of the lemon juice, half of the cilantro, half of the dill, and half of the basil.
Cover again and continue cooking on low for 30 minutes.
Right before serving, add the other half of the lemon juice, cilantro, dill and basil, which will be very fresh and bright.
Serves 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment