Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Back to School Resolutions, Chapter 2: Changes to Weekday Routines

Now that school is back in (for most, Cammi doesn't start til September 4), and in follow up to my Back to School, Chapter 1 post, I've made a list of my current routines/habits noting what needed changed, tweaked, deleted entirely or just plain overhauled.

1.         Keep eating healthy.  The fall/winter months are my most favorite months to cook. Savory soups, stews, chili. Baked breads, muffins, cakes.  Casseroles and pork roasts.  OMGosh!  As I work away from my house all week, I’ll be cooking extras on the weekends and making sure there are leftovers for lunch.  I enjoy sitting down to a home-cooked meal, especially since my grandkiddies stay over almost every weekend.
2.         Create good “homework” habits.  For me, this will mean spending time at my desk going over the day’s mail, paying bills, making to-do lists of appointments to be made, shopping lists and birthday/anniversary cards to be sent. Purging papers, filing important docs, etc.
3.         Create evening and morning routines that you can adhere to.  My current routines are apparently not working as I climb the stairs at least five times each morning looking for things I’ve forgotten.  I will resolve to do more the night before – choose what to wear, pack my lunch, find my shoes.  In perusing blogland, I came across an idea of hanging a chalkboard by the front door and listing all the many useless items I just can’t seem to leave the house with so I do not forget anything ever again!  I apologize for not making note of where I read this so that I could give credit where credit is due.  
4.         Maintain the budget and save money (for a new roof).  Actually, with the holidays coming up, which means more parties, more parties, means more food, more presents, more pretty clothes, er, maybe not more pretty clothes, but MORE, new spending guidelines need set forth and adhered to these next few months. AND I MEAN IT!
5.         Get out of bed on time and get going.  It is true that I might hit the snooze button an average of 8 times before I actually get out of bed.  This is why I set the alarm to go off 18 minutes earlier than I need to get up.  IT WORKS!
6.         EAT BREAKFAST.  You love oatmeal – eat it.
7.         Shower or bathe the night before.  I have very frizzy, curly hair that takes hours to try, so showering/bathing the night before works for me (unless I’ve just gotten the Brazilian Blowout and then my hair is sleek, straight and shiny and I can grab a quick shower in the morning).
8.         GO TO BED! Do not stay up to watch any after hour shows. You KNOW you cannot function without at least 7 hours of sleep (8 is better).  You KNOW you will eat more trying to get energized.  You KNOW you will nod off at your desk and risk falling off your chair.

And that's my list.  Not too taxing. Workable. DOABLE!

No comments:

Post a Comment