Thursday, September 12, 2013

A Morning of Reflection

I have been participating in Shimelle’s Learn Something New Every Day (using
Instagram) and Ali Edwards’ Week in the Life, two projects I always look forward to.  I have realized two things: 1. my weekdays are pretty much the same, seriously.  It’s Groundhog Day (good movie) Monday through Friday; and 2. I do not take many every day photos.  On the weekends when the kiddies are here I tend to take more.  All that got me to thinking about how I like September (the going back to school month) because it’s like a chance to make major or not so major change/changes in my life.  And that got me to thinking about how and where I can make change and how I want to live my life from this day forward.  Now, my oldest son has been living with me for the past year and a half.  Before he moved in, my life was pretty sedate (QUIET) and, well, good, much more calm before he moved in.  He is moving out this weekend (it’s time) and my routines will again change.  I am looking forward to it.  And that got me to thinking "what are my priorities?"  What is working for me, what is not.  So, I made a list.

1.         God – We go to Church on Sundays and I am participating in an on-line Bible Study.  Since the boys were born earlier this year, a good part of my family now goes to Church and we are all getting involved in little ways.  Mel and Brian go to the Sunday night Youth Get Togethers.  Kayla will be helping in the nursery during Church hours.  Amanda has shown an interest in joining the choir and K and I will be hosting the Second Sunday Social in November.

2.        Family/Entertainment – I spend every weekend and a few weekends with my most of my family (some more than others).  I host the kiddies’ birthday parties, the Halloween and Christmas parties and Holiday dinners (everyone is always welcome).  But I am also pleased and I encourage them to make traditions for their families as this is what memories are made of.  I should/will send more snail mail as the little ones love that.

3.        Career – I love what I do. Absolutely. Recently two co-workers left to go to other firms, which also had more openings, and I was asked by each to come see if changing firms would be something I’d consider.  Well, it was an eye-opener!  You know how you always think the grass may be greener on the other side??? Well, here it’s not.  Both places made an offer and I am flattered but I realized that not only do I make a good wage, our firm is flexible and understands that sometimes family/personal/health needs have to come first.  I am staying right where I am and am going to continue to give 110%!

4.        The House – My house is a total work in progress.  This year the roof(s) (there are 3 of them) have been replaced.  That was the major.  Next will be the plumbing.  The house will be 100 years old in about 2 years.  It’s a landmark!  It’s huge, I love it, it needs work. I need to get back into the routine of using the doable housekeeping list I modified from FlyLady so that my house is always company ready. 

5.        My Blog – This is my favorite thing as it’s more than just a blog, it’s my calendar, my memory, my daily planner.  It’s where my kids can go to see what happened on such and such a date or keep up with what other family members are doing.  For now, I am the memory keeper in this family.  My hope is that either my daughter, niece, or one of my granddaughters carries on. 
Now, as I said, my blog is my personal memory keeper.  But I am ALWAYS behind!  I need to set a schedule for posting by creating a routine that works, stick with it.

6.        Exercise – Well, the solution for this is easy.  Schedule the time, turn off the t.v., the computer, the phone and just do it.

Well, that would be just about enough reflection for one day.  Time to go to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment