Monday, April 7, 2014

STREAMLINING THE MORNING ROUTINE.

STREAMLINING THE MORNING ROUTINE.

There are children in the house.  Hallelujah! This also means more work and more work means new routines.  When I found myself hitting the snooze button way too many times and wasting even more time running up and down the stairs for items forgotten, I knew I had to rethink my morning routine.  Now, mornings run much smoother, with little or no stress, and the added bonus is that I get a head start on my day and to work on time.  Oh, before I forget, my routines are adapted from The FlyLady’s Flight Plan and modified to fit my lifestyle.

MORNING ROUTINE

5:30 a.m.        Get up. Make bed.  (I love climbing into a made bed at night).
5:35 a.m.        Move – I have the “7 Minute Workout” App on my phone.  It’s just enough to get me moving in the morning.
                        Gather any laundry.
5:45 a.m.        Brush teeth.
                        Wash face.
                        Fix hair.
            (Because of my hair (usually thick & curly, currently smooth & straight, thanks Brazilian Blowout and my hairdresser!), I shower/bathe the night before.
                        Clean toilet, sink and wipe mirrors.
            Dress.  I have an area in the dining room where I lay out my clothes the night before.  One of my very first apps was “Stylebook,” a cool app for storing photos of my outfits (I often take pics of me in the clothes) so it’s easy to pull a look together.
                        Start the laundry.
                        If using slow cooker, prepare dinner.
6:40 a.m.        Leave for work.

On the bus, I will:
                        Check my Springpad (app) notebooks for any appointments, check yesterday’s to-do list (I carry over tasks not complete), make today’s to-do list and check my personal e-mails.

Arrive in town by 7:30 a.m.  At my desk, I will:
                        Take my meds.
                        Get coffee.
                        Eat breakfast (either yogurt parfait* or oatmeal)
                        Check work related emails.

8:00 a.m.  The work day begins.

Let me just say one more thing here. I love this routine and it works, but it is not always the norm.  There are mornings that Little Mr. E. decides to get up before the alarm and he takes priority over all the other stuff.  Luckily he usually is back in bed before 6:30 and I’m able to.

*Yogurt Parfait
In a totable container:
Layer ½ cup of your favorite vanilla yogurt
½ cup fresh fruit (strawberries, mandarin orange slices, blueberries, bananas, etc.)
Another ½ cup of vanilla yogurt.
Top with a tablespoon of (my favorite) sliced almonds or granola or Toll House Mini Morsels.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment