Friday, July 31, 2015

My Top Seven Favorite Summer Salads (that’s a salad a day!)


When the days are longer and the weather is hot, there is nothing more refreshing than a lovely salad for dinner.  Add a fresh baked crusty, chewy loaf of Italian, Tuscan or Ciabatta bread, spread with real butter, and you’ve got yourself one delicious meal.  Here are my seven favorite Summer Salads:

1.            shrimp, onion, celery, parsley, mayo, served in a homegrown, juicy, red tomato resting on a green lettuce leaf.

2.            grilled chicken with cranberries and almonds, mayo, served either on a bed of lettuce or a fresh bakery bun

3.            spinach with strawberries, slivered almonds, thinly sliced red onion and strawberry/poppy seed vinaigrette.  I’ve also tossed in mandarin oranges on occasion.

4.            ground beef, seasoned and browned, chopped onion, diced tomatoes, sliced black olives, topped with ranch dressing and Fresh Gourmet Santa Fe Style Tortilla Strips. 

5.            broccoli, chopped red onion, cooked, crumbled bacon, raisins tossed with mayo, sugar and vinegar.  I first tasted this salad when my children were preteens and Mrs. Folino brought it to a baseball picnic.  Delicious!

6.  red grapes, green grapes, cream cheese, sour cream, brown sugar, vanilla, cheddar cheese, walnut or almond pieces or granola. This recipe was introduced to me last Christmas when I purchased a cookbook put out by a Church and sold by a co-worker.  I made this for my Annual Ornament Exchange and then again for my Christmas luncheon.  Because the grapes were rather pricey here in December, this turned out to be one expensive salad, but it was oh, so worth it!

7.  potatoes, cooked and diced, chopped onion, hard-cooked eggs, diced, real mayo, salt, pepper, paprika.  Toss it all in a bowl and chill.  Though truth be told, I like my potato salad hot, too.

Do you have a favorite salad????

Peace and happiness!
Trish


No comments:

Post a Comment