Monday, July 6, 2015

Recipe Revival - Biscuit Doughnuts

Back around 1966, the Flintstones aired on Friday evenings.  The cartoon was then sponsored by Welch’s.  This was a highlight of our week.  Dressed in p.j.s, my sister, brother and I would gather around the television and follow along with the antics of Fred and Barney.  My Mom would set to making us a bedtime snack and the one I remember most were the biscuit doughnuts.  Yep, doughnuts made from refrigerator biscuits.  She would use a biscuit cutter to cut out the center and then drop the dough in a pan of hot oil.  When golden, she would roll them in granulated sugar and we would eat them up as fast as she could make them. 
My doughnut helper, Jake
I watch two of my grandsons every other Saturday and I always try to come up with an easy project we can do together.  Once recent Saturday, I enlisted their help in making biscuit doughnuts.  We used tiny alphabet and heart cutters to cut out the centers. Kayla didn’t want them rolled in sugar so she made frosting. They were melt in your mouth good. 



BISCUIT DOUGHNUTS (makes 8)

1 can biscuit dough (8 count)
Oil
Heavy frying pan
Biscuit cutter or small cookie cutters
Granulated Sugar, Powdered Sugar, Cinnamon mixed with sugar, Frosting – YOUR choice.


Pour oil (I used one cup) in heavy pan and heat until hot.  Cut a hole (or design) in each biscuit.  Carefully drop biscuits in hot oil and fry until golden (both sides). 

Place on layers of paper towels, cool slightly and then coat each doughnut with granulated sugar or powdered sugar or cinnamon mixed with sugar, or frosting.  Enjoy!

YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment