Here in Pittsburgh, we’ve had lots of rain, especially on the weekends. Here is a list of what we’ve done on those rainy days.
1. Get cozy on the couch, grab some soft blankets, cuddle and read a book. I am currently reading A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg, author of the blog Orangette.
2. Or have a movie marathon. We just had one on a recent, very rainy Sunday. We watched The Judge, with Robert Downey, Jr. and Robert Duvall (loved it!); Non-Stop with Liam Neeson, and Home (for Elliot).
3. Work on a project – crochet, knit, cross-stitch, scrapbook. I am currently crocheting a sweater and snowflakes.
4. Work on a jigsaw puzzle. We keep a spare cardboard table just for jigsaw puzzles.
5. Take a nap. Nuff’ said.
6. Bake something yummy. Like, cupcakes, banana bread, cookies. Get the whole family involved. Elliot is good at breaking eggs into the bowl (you gotta pick out a few shells). Smell the goodness, laugh, talk. It’s a wonderful moment.
7. Play a board game. Currently, the game of Clue is number one in this household.
8. Have a DIY spa day. Kayla and I love these impromptu moments when we decide to have a spa day. They are rarely planned. We do our nails (fingers and toes). Soak, moisturize, polish. We do facials. We deep condition our hair. We talk, laugh, sing, dance.
9. Make soup. Like Tomato, and serve with toasted cheese sandwiches.
10. Spend countless hours on the floor playing Thomasthe Train with Elliot, or building sculptures and garages for his cars with Legos.
11. This one is contradictory to the list, BUT it’s been a family favorite for a long as I can remember. Go for a run in the rain. Just a week or so ago when Amanda’s boys were over and it began raining, I challenged them to a race in the rain. We got drenched, laughed, jumped in puddles, they climbed the hillside, a memory made, it was great!
What are your favorite things to do when it rains?