Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Refresh – Your Routine

A New Year, A New You, New Routines?

When January, the first month of the new year rings in so shiny and new, I get giddy with the excitement and promise of so many good things to come, for the chance to “start over,” to make new changes, make new habits, toss out the old.  I devour articles on reinventing yourself, jazzying up your décor, trying new foods, changing up your exercise routine, making new habits, breaking old or bad habits.  Change doesn’t have to be too drastic, you don’t need to reinvent yourself or redecorate your whole house to the tune of mucho dinero.  Start off this month by re-freshening the routines that have worked, add a few new or get rid of the routines that just are not working.  You’ll be setting the stage for the months to follow and have more time to enjoy this new year.

Make your bed every morning.  It takes just a few minutes to make your bed once you are up.  Your whole room will look instantly tidier and I can tell you there is nothing like crawling back into a made bed after a long day at the office.  Refreshen your sheets with a spritz of linen spray such as Crabtree& Evelyn Lavender Linen Spray.  Or make your own.  One Good Thing by Jillee has a very easy recipe for Homemade Lavender Linen Spray.  You can find it here.

Move.  I downloaded the 7 Minute Workout App to my iphone.  I like it, it’s quick and it gets me moving first thing in the morning.  And if you need further proof of its potential or just want to read a good review, Sarah Klein, Senior Editor of Huffpost Healthy Living wrote an excellent article on the 7 Minute Workout here.

Clean a room.  Assign a room to each day of the week.  Make a list of what needs done in each on a weekly basis or visit the FlyLady and download detailed cleaning lists.  Then do it.  Your house will stay tidier and you won’t be spending hours cleaning on the weekend.  Save the heavy duty stuff for your annual spring and fall cleanings. 

Make a weekly menu plan.  This is something that I attempt every shopping trip and by Thursday, I’m ready to just buy pizza or order Jimmy John’s.  Not good when you are trying to save $$.  I’m getting better and it helps so much that my granddaughter Kayla will make dinner if we have a plan.  I search the internet and look to my cookbooks for menu planning ideas.  It really does save money, time and sanity to have an idea of what you’ll be serving each day.  A site I’ve been enjoying lately is Kraft’s 1 Bag, 5 Dinners.  Browse through the many “bags” they have listed, download the accompanying menu plan, shopping list and recipes for that bag, shop, add a veggie and salad, and wahla 5 healthy and manageable meals.  I look at it as a challenge and am totally loving it.

Schedule time for YOU.  We all need some downtime, so pencil it in.  DO IT.  Even if it’s just an hour or two on a Sunday evening.  You deserve it and it will do wonders for you.  Kayla and I will declare a spa night and then give ourselves a facial, pedicure and manicure. We talk and laugh and just have a good time.  It’s good for the soul and you feel amazing afterwards.

There you have it.  These are the ideas I am using to freshen up my routines.  Are you making any changes to your routines?

Warmly! Trish

No comments:

Post a Comment