Thursday, August 11, 2016
... finishing painting the dining room
... beginning to rearrange furniture/rooms
... finishing the crocheted baby sack
... beginning to work on the hat that goes with the sack
... spending time with Elliot and family.
What are you looking forward to doing this weekend?
Tuesday, August 9, 2016
- hot days, cool nights
- sundresses and sandals
- working on a crochet project requested by Kayla. It’s good to be creating again
- a drive to a farm to purchase fresh vegetables for salads
- lawn mower racing with Elliot once a week
- porch picnics
- members’ night at the zoo
- being half way through my 2016 Reading Challenge
- Trader Joe’s PB&J bars
- looking forward to Learning Something New Every Day in September
- Animal Kingdom (Ellen Barkin)
- playing trains
- corn on the cob and fresh butter
- Elliot’s wonderful imagination – this week’s role play: he is Mr. Peabody, I am Sherman and Kayla is Penni
- Gilmore Girls (Season 6)
- green lush houseplants
- movies at the drive-in
- Starbucks Passion Teas
- Trader Joe’s Organic Virgin Coconut Oil. A jar for the kitchen, a jar for dry skin, a jar for deep moisturizing dry, frizzy hair.
- the every day!
Monday, August 8, 2016
v Saturday, Kayla and Doug went shopping at the Waterfront. Mom, Elliot and I went to the Festival in the Lane on Twelve Mile Island (a/k/a Maple Island). I, duh, didn’t take a camera, not even my iphone, however, I did take a few pics with Mom’s that I need to upload. Elliot swam in the river – he loves to swim! Jumped on a trampoline, played in a ball bouncy house, played on swings and slides and just had a fabulous day!
v Sunday morning – what a gorgeous morning it was! On a whim, we piled into the car and drove up to Schramm’s Farms. Kayla had once said that she’d like to go there more than just in October, so we did. There was an abundance of corn in the cob and I love that Schramm’s idea of 1 dozen is 13 ears of corn. We gave 7 to Elliot’s Dad and Parents which they cooked up for dinner and said was delicious. We will be making ours tonight. Schramm’s also has a Grandma’s Country Oven Bake Shoppe where we each purchased our favorite baked good. Elliot wanted McDonald’s for lunch and then we dropped him off at his Dad’s for a visit.
v Elliot’s Dad let him ride a skateboard without a helmet. He fell off and scraped the whole right side of his little face. Accidents do happen, but prevention goes a long way. Just sayin’
v I finished reading The Killing Forest by Sarah Blaedel and started The Girls by Emma Cline. My Goodreads 2016 Reading Challenge target is 24 books for this year, and I am currently on target.
v The check engine light came on in the car. Can’t even imagine what that means. Will be calling our mechanic later today.
What was on your agenda for this past weekend?
Tuesday, August 2, 2016
These are the dog days of summer, the time between July 3 and August 11, when Sirius, the Dog Star rises at the same time as the Sun (a little fun fact for ya!). A time when the days are long and the heat oppressive, when little gets done due to a lack of energy, when we actually look forward to rain or even snow.
Don’t give into the August heat, pull up a porch chair and sip cold lemonade. Or do a few of the following:
- Go to the beach or a community pool
- Go fishing
- Run through a sprinkler
- Go to the drive-in
- Visit a farmer’s market
- Host a picnic
- Toss water balloons
- Visit a museum (it’s air conditioned!)
- Go to the Zoo
- Make root beer floats
- Ride the rides - visit an amusement park
- Go Back to School Shopping (a child’s favorite to-do!)
No matter how you choose to spend your days, remember to use plenty of sunscreen and/or wear protective clothing, stay hydrated, and get plenty of rest.
Monday, August 1, 2016
* We are just now getting around to putting up the pool we bought back in June. Seriously. Yesterday, Jayme and Tina came over and, after they marked off where we would set the pool up, Jayme turned over the dirt and Tina and I broke up the big chunks. This week we will let it settle and by Saturday, it will be ready for the sand and then the pool. Better late than never. Right? Right?
* This month we will be decluttering the four rooms that will eventually be remade into Kayla’s room, the nursery, Elliot’s room and my room/family room (this room is large!). I would like to begin painting in September. My goal is to have everything in place by November, December at the latest.
* Elliot continues to be a joy and a bright spot on each and every day.
* Jayme and Tina and I have begun discussing vacation ideas for next year.
* Kayla and I are already making plans for our holiday parties and visits to the pumpkin farm.
* I started this project over the weekend.
* According to folklore, “If the first week of August be warm, the winter will be white and long.” The temps in the forecast for this week in Pittsburgh are in the upper 80’s, lower 90’s.Cheers to a great month!