Wednesday, August 30, 2017
Wednesday, August 2, 2017
1. Go to a drive-in movie: fill a cooler with drinks and snacks, throw a couple of folding chairs and blankets in the trunk, and watch a movie under the stars;
2. Get up a little earlier and enjoy coffee, tea or orange juice on the front porch;
3. Go on a picnic in the park: choose a new park you've never been to before, explore;
4. Visit your local Zoo;
5. Go white water rafting;
6. Make a meal using veggies from your garden;
7. Make S'mores and root beer floats;
8. Go miniature golfing;
9. Go to an amusement park;
10. Take a ride on a boat; and (every child's favorite NOT);
11. Get ready to go back to school.
Tuesday, August 1, 2017
"but the biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make while doing this. I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of the three on them sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages 6, 4, and 1. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in a hurry to get on to the next things: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."
I was not a very good document keeper this past July. I was truly enjoying each day, spending each evening sitting on our front porch, Elliot riding his bike or playing in his sandbox, Amelia in her ball pit or playpen, adults playing Trips & Runs, Yahtzee, Scrabble or Clue. Or time spent in the backyard, Elliot in his little pool, me cutting the grass or pulling weeds. Just outside – enjoying.
But I, as keeper of our memories, I published no photos, I have no words written down to coincide with each day. How will the children know?
So here I am – back. Back to my blog to record our days. Our precious moments. Our every days.
Welcome August! How will we enjoy you?